Brand new insights from Scripture!
Here are some things we'd never seen before:
• Luther, Darby, Calvin, Polycarp, Chrysotom, Eusebius -and even the heretic Marcion all had some things to say about these letters to Timothy.
• The setting for 2 Timothy was a few months after Rome burned and this explains several things such as the disappearance of many of Paul's friends and the hard time Onesiphorus had finding him. It reads like a detective novel!
• Did you know Paul suggested Jesus stood next to him in place of a lawyer since no public defenders were willing to risk Nero's anger against this "ringleader" of accused arsonists by standing in as his attorney in this kangaroo court?
• It was interesting to find out that dozens of ancient authors confirm the deceitful nature of the Cretans in the book of Titus. By the way, what was Paul doing quoting a secular play and thereby inserting words attributed to Zeus right into our Bibles? Titus 1:12
• The legal language of Rome and the O.T. references to runaway slaves were a surprise as we re-read Philemon and saw Paul taking the position of a court-appointed lawyer -as was permitted for runaway slaves.
The entire set will be downloadable as PDFs as soon as we have time to post them.
In the meantime, what's stopping you from checking these books out and posting any insights you come across for inclusion before this batch goes to the printing press?
Several have asked how to go about posting... just study your Bible and ask the Lord to show you something which we would all benefit from and then hit "reply" and share it with the rest of us.
No flame-throwers will attack you. No one is going to say your idea was stupid. I've been studying for 34 yrs. and the Lord shows me new things every day.
If anyone DID think your idea was stupid - "no man knoweth anything as he ought...'" 1 Cor. 8:2
and "knowledge puffeth up." 1 Cor. 8:1
I'm really expecting to hear from you! We want to complete the whole Bible and have 59 books to go. It has taken us 6 yrs. to get 7 books done. PLEASE contribute -there's no way we can do this alone. This material is forming the basis of a curriculum for the preacher-boys in Jamaica who eat up everything we give them ravenously. They can't go to a Christian bookstore in the middle of the jungle and buy study guides like we can.
If you can't go then please share what you can as they are reading this and are always ready for more.
Here's one for ya' -what does it mean to "rightly divide the Word?" (2 Tim. 2:15) -so far we have the Greek rendering "cut straight or accurately" but in what way is it to be divided?
Is it saying we need to differentiate between the Law and the New Covenant? Whassupwiddat?
Your Servant in Christ,